This area contains slides of talks and reports and notes
on work in progress on porting the CDF software to SL5. If you
are not one of our collaborators, you are not entitled to review this
material. It contains preliminary work which can be inaccurate, and
only members of our collaboration are in a position to determine
As of 22-Feb-2010 there are 101 CDF desktops running SL3 at fermilab.
- Various documents and notes.
- Recent reports; since 1-Mar-2011
- Outstanding issues (Excel)
- Straw man plan for incorporating large file support
Notes for testing large file stntuples
- New release general outline: 24Nov (Excel)
- Current count of maintainable libraries
- SL5 migration changes; wiki
- Proposed Project List starting in June
- Who is responsible for products we use?
- Issues with 7.0.1
- Terminal release notes
- Terminal release: desired contents
- Strange things from Physics group
- Lynn's list of external packages we set up 6.1.6
Detailed Excel file of products
- Stuff to Worry About
- Questions and pointers about rootd migration to xrootd
- Questions and info about Oracle
- Questions and info about Releases
- Proposed Project List starting in April 2010 old list
To run SL3 binaries in compatibility mode on SL4 you need the
To run SL3 binaries in compatibility mode on SL5 you need the
tcl-8.3.5-92.2 and readline-4.3-5.2 rpms
To link binaries on SL5 you need to
ln -s /usr/lib/libg2c.so.0 /usr/lib/libg2c.so
since for some reason this isn't always present.
- Questions and info about Monte Carlo
- 01Jul2009 : First notes after
Offline Operations meeting (Wednesdays at 10), action items.
- 02Jul2009 : PMD complaints about our java code
- 06Jul2009 : getting a job to run on SL5
- 07Jul2009 : status
- 09Jul2009 : SL4 vs SL5. Log file difference, difference in histogram due to bug
in TWenuMonModule.cc, probably harmless.
- 15Jul2009 : missing libraries
- 20Jul2009 : Tried unsuccessfully
to duplicate Costas' gustep errors.
- 21Jul2009 : java errors
- 05Aug2009 : lx64slc5 test
- 06Aug2009 : Kuhr ran a cdfSim job
on an SL5 GridKA system and it worked. The results differ from a similar
job run at FNAL--probably random number initialization differences.
- 21Aug2009 : SL4 doesn't run on SL3
- 24Aug2009 : Normal and maxopt
vary within the same release.
- 26Aug2009 : 6.1.6 built on SL4 vs
6.1.6.migrate built on SL4 (histograms agree, bank lists are same). 6.1.6/SL4 run on
SL4 and SL5 agree with histograms, but bank lists differ
- 02Sep2009 : old comparison tool
- 16Sep2009 : missing libraries
- 18Sep2009 : Files for use in validating
- 23Sep2009 : DB change-over was
- 24Sep2009 : Multiple emails about
shared libraries on different architectures.
- 06Oct2009 : Minutes from last
week's meeting. Outline for new plan
- 09Dec2009 : Level3 doesn't look critical
- 14Dec2009 : Notes. Make a
timeline chart out of this stuff.
- 16Dec2009 : Empty
- 06Jan2010 : Near release of migrate. Timeline, targets?
- 07Jan2010 : oracle and caf notes
- 08Jan2010 : questions about rootd/xrootd
- 12Jan2010 : new timeline, report, list of products
- 13Jan2010 : Costas note on MC status
- 19Jan2010 : 6.1.6.migrate status
- 26Jan2010 : 27Jan, 3Feb status reports
- 03Feb2010 : patch list for 6.1.4mc.migrate, experience using it
- 08Feb2010 : oracle missing include files (bit us later when nobody else noticed)
- 09Feb2010 : status, 6.1.4mc.migrate
- 16Feb2010 : Report for tomorrow
- 17Feb2010 : Meeting notes and some todo plans.
- 19Feb2010 : Good news from Costas, glum news from root
- 21Feb2010 : Straw Man proposal. Why could Hhun Su not link on lnx5, but could on lnx3
3-event test on bhel0d_sample.pad with 6.1.4mc and 6.1.4mc.migrate shows
no difference in Oracle calls.
- 23Feb2010 : straw man proposal (later found optimistic), status
- 25Feb2010 : OS timing (same)
- 01Mar2010 : status, timeline
- 02Mar2010 : status reports on migration, joint physics report
- 08Mar2010 : status, new root
- 11Mar2010 : 100K SL3 vs SL4
Lots of small (and a few not-so-small) changes. Also SL3 vs SL5, and
SL4 vs SL5 (no .999999 changes???).
- 17Mar2010 : comparisons, project status
- 22Mar2010 : 100K test results by file.
- 24Mar2010 : comparisons, project status, subprojects
- 27Mar2010 : Comparing the two files
Simona found differences in.
- 30Mar2010 : differences, proposal for future releases
- 07Apr2010 : bin shifts, announcement schedule
- 13Apr2010 : Reports for 14-Apr. Check
claim of TOracle references--not there.
- 14Apr2010 : Release announcement!
- 21Apr2010 : Report, and notes about
the need for future releases
- 26Apr2010 : timing on different OS
- 27Apr2010 : rpm issues, status
- 03May2010 : Monday agenda and notes, Wednesday report
- 12May2010 : status, delete .migrate
- 24May2010 : search for managers
- 25May2010 : migration status
- 02Jun2010 : status
- 08Jun2010 : Library manager query
- 14Jun2010 : Library manager, orphan libraries, compiler bug
- 04Jul2010 : Report on 7.0.1, differences (later found trivial)
- 07Jul2010 : 7.0.1 validation, CPU profiling w/100 events
- 14Jul2010 : Report on callgrind
- 19Jul2010 : Stntuple maker CPU
usage tree top.
- 21Jul2010 : dccp tests on SL5
- 25Jul2010 : ProductionExe maxopt CPU usage: bookkeeping and chebyshev
- 27Jul2010 : Migration, What went wrong in migration effort
- 02Aug2010 : 7.0.1.m repetitions not same? (SAME, see 03Aug)
- 03Aug2010 : 7.0.1.m TProfiles are same after all. valgrind locates a problem
- 17Aug2010 : Report: uninitialized memory, missing maintainers
- 25Aug2010 : perl_dbd_oracle problem (why didn't this show up earlier!?), rootd
problems, diskcache_i version needs to agree with the root version
- 01Sep2010 : rootd interoperability
- 15Sep2010 : gfortran workaround found
- 22Sep2010 : status report
- 29Sep2010 : Reports for several weeks.
- 23Nov2010 : Request for documentation on proper analysis directory layout.
- 28Nov2010 : Muon code cleanup results in
changes in CMU delZ?
- 01Dec2010 : Large file support tests
- 02Dec2010 : File creation fails when nearing 10GB; starts a new file and dies.
- 03Dec2010 : Warning cleanup for development version of muon code (differs
from 6.1.6.m!). Integer overflow test with large file run.
- 09Dec2010 :
- 17Dec2010 :
- 20Dec2010 :
- 22Dec2010 :
- 03Jan2011 : Notes on large file
exercises over the Christmas break.
- 18Jan2011 :
- 21Jan2011 : Large file branch and
patchlist for 6.1.6.m, should also work for 6.1.4mc.m
- 25Jan2011 :
- 26Jan2011 :
- 07Feb2011 : Where do 6.1.4mc.m and
6.1.6.m differ in base packages?
- 08Feb2011 : Base differences between
6.1.6.m and 6.1.4mc.m, not including patches.
- 10Feb2011 :
- 14Feb2011 : Compare 7.0.1.m with 6.1.6.ml to find
root v5 changes. First pass.
- 15Feb2011 : root v5: Have to recompile everything
that uses rootcint.
- 16Feb2011 : Patch list for root v5
- 01Mar2011 : Offline reports for now through 4-May
- 14Mar2011 : Looking for bug causing crash in 6.1.6alpha
- 16Mar2011 : readContentCatalog (bug found and fixed later at Fermilab)
- 22Mar2011 : Comparison 6.1.4mc.m and 6.1.6.m
- 06Apr2011 : Notes and Todo for 6.1.6.md and 6.2.6
- 26Apr2011 :
- 11May2011 : Products and code merging notes.
- 19May2011 :
- 28May2011 :
- 15Jun2011 : Frontier questions...; also
CRUD--Left out root v5 changes in review for 614 vs 616!
- 22Jun2011 :
- 01Jul2011 :
- 26Jul2011 : frontier_client compiled, evd tested
- 31Aug2011 :
- 07Sep2011 :
- 03Oct2011 :
- 26Oct2011 :
- 09Dec2011 :
- 21Dec2011 :
- 06Jan2012 :
- 24Jan2012 :
- 29Feb2012 :
- Current version of the timeline: project
- Current list of projects: project completed.
These slides are presented here for the use of CDF collaborators; both
for quick communication during phone conferences and for archival
purposes. They refer to internal development work, and are not
intended for publication to the general public. As of this date none
of our collaborators are blind, and since none but our
collaborators are likely to benefit from reading them, I see no
purpose in making the postscript files accessible to the blind.
if you have trouble accessing the information on this page.