Also see the SVT pages
This area contains slides of talks. It also contains reports
on work in progress, both by me and by Bob Handler. If you
are not one of our collaborators, you are not entitled to review this
material. It contains preliminary work which can be inaccurate, and
only members of our collaboration are in a position to determine
- summary document From
- 22-Apr-1997 Studying IMU backgrounds with
- 14-May-1997 GEANT pix of the detectors,
where hits came from, FMU from Run I, sanity plots.
- 30-Oct-1997 Progress in stub finder writing.
- 3-Dec-1997 How the simulation works for IMU
- 27-Jan-1998 Simulation status, pictures;
reconstruction status, class diagram.
- 13-Feb-1998 Progress. Muon gun results,
hit origins and times, overview of framework.
- Geant pix and descriptions containment volumes
- 19-May-1998 Energy depositions, times from
GEANT. Framework descriptions.
- 8-July-1998 More of same.
- 4-Oct-2000 Tracking Meeting Overview of
reconstruction status and program flow.
- 20-Dec-2000 Muon Tracking Meeting Summary
of reconstruction status, mine and Bob's.
- 21-Feb-2001 (and 28-Feb-2001) Muon Tracking Meeting
Cell pictures, stub distributions, GEANT +/- muon distributions.
- 7-Mar-2001 Muon Tracking Meeting More alignments.
- 14-Mar-2001 Muon Tracking Meeting Progress.
Warning about USE_ISOCXX in GNUmakefile
- 28-Mar-2001 Muon Tracking Meeting Oscillations,
bad TDC ID's, crosstalk.
- 2-May-2001 Muon Tracking Meeting More GEANT
studies: rphi, fraction surviving, Pt mismeasurement
- 9-May-2001 Muon Tracking Meeting Same as above.
- 16-May-2001 Muon Meetings
Some plots from 36x36 runs. Drifts, widths, t0.
- 23-May-2001 Muon Meetings (Geometry) GEANT
- 6-June-2001 Muon Meetings (more Geometry, solution)
Progress on geometry. Iron now OK. Bob's crossing times for stubs.
- 13-June-2001 Muon Meetings (more Geometry)
- 22-August-2001 Muon Meetings (more Geometry)
Geometry looks done, FORTRAN to be abandoned. Plots of triggers, BSU timing,
- 29-August-2001 Muon Meetings Progress report,
- 12-September-2001 Muon Meetings Progress report,
early stab at BSU efficiency, Bob's early numbers for BMU efficiency, hits
are in rear.
- 19-September-2001 Muon Meetings Progress,
BSU occupancies, timing vs BMU stubs.
- 10-October-2001 Muon Meetings TSU timing
distributions, BSU. Needs more work.
- 12-October-2001 Muon Meetings Progress report
summary for big meeting.
- 24-October-2001 Muon Meetings Progress in
time division for Z, BSU front/rear vs Z.
- 31-October-2001 Muon Meetings Progress. Time
shifts: mine vs Bobs.
- 7-November-2001 Muon Meetings Progress.
- 14-November-2001 Muon Meetings Pix for DOE review:
BMU rates w+w/o BSU, stub rates ditto, time distributions.
- 5-December-2001 Muon Meetings Bob's time
differences between layers.
- 12-December-2001 Muon Meetings PuffModule hint.
- 19-December-2001 Muon Meetings ASD cards don't
cause the wire-to-wire time variations, better Bob Z distributions.
- 26-December-2001 Muon Meetings: Merry Christmas!
- 16-January-2002 Muon Meetings Simulation flow
- 23-January-2002 Progress reports. Progress with
x/y wire positions. Worthless dimuon plot.
- 30-January-2002 Progress reports. Drphi for
- 13-February-2002 Progress reports. Bob's matching
scintillator times with stub crossing times.
- 20-February-2002 Empty.
- 27-February-2002 Progress reports. Bob's plots
for scintillator timing.
- 6-March-2002 Progress reports. New stub-finder
- 13-March-2002 Progress reports.
- 3-April-2002 Progress reports. Mostly bug fixes and
pictures to document same. Bob's plots for t0 offsets seem to show an
- 17-April-2002 Progress reports. Bob's
crosstalk studies with reference to origin and to the effect on the
- 1-May-2002 Reports from the Offline shift.
Some notes on comparisons of results between Fermi RedHat 6.1.1
- 8-May-2002 Residuals from simulation.
Bob's plots on timing.
- 15-May-2002 More on residuals from simulation.
Better Bob plots on timing, and resolution work.
- 22-May-2002 More on residuals from simulation.
- 29-May-2002 Status report.
- 12-Jun-2002 Status report. Missing cell list.
- 26-Jun-2002 Status report. Pitiful progress
on bug finding.
- 10-Jul-2002 Status report. More or less pitiful progress
on bug finding.
- 11-Sep-2002 Status report. Shows improvements
in stub finding at the arc boundaries, thanks to better alignment.
- 18-Sep-2002 Status report. Corrected Z
algorithm looks good. Oddity with 3-hit stubs and 3-D x/y position.
- 25-Sep-2002 Status report. Found out I was using
the old hit collections, which munged up the distributions somewhat.
Some things look much better
- 2-October-2002 Status report. Some work on
fiducials, trying to get a handle on the quality of the new stubs we
get from the bug fix in the algorithm last week.
- 9-October-2002 Status report. Work on comparing
the two stub-finding algorithms. A J/psi plot from the trigger data.
- 16-October-2002 Status report. Work deciding
what scintillator timing cuts and Z cuts to use.
- 23-October-2002 Status report. Chi-squared
mystery practically if not theoretically solved.
- 30-October-2002 Status report.
- 6-November-2002 Status report.
- 15-January-2003 Status report. Efficiency
studies using Ken's sample: 87%. Evd changes available. We will
keep using my old algorithm instead of Bob's.
- 22-January-2003 Status report. There are
some curiosities which I don't understand. And some we do.
- 29-January-2003 Further studies on width
and arrival time for the BMU.
- 12-February-2003 Width studies for the BSU,
looking for masked hits. I don't find much in the way of masked hits,
but do find pulses 2 and 3 times as long as usual, and a
set of slightly extended pulse lengths that come from the second pulse.
- Report: Can one reconstruct the
time of a masked hit from the CCU? Short answer: no.
- 19-February-2003The report.
- Report: Stub finding algorithms and
residuals. Reference and how to estimate true sigmas. Updated
21-Apr-2004 to revised version.
- 26-February-2003 Proposal for
- 5-March-2003 Track projections
to the BMU in Z.
- 19-March-2003 Report on status for
Muon Software Meeting. Report on trying to use 1999 cable timing for
wire to wire timing corrections.
- 2-April-2003 Report on results of
loosening the cuts for Stublets. This increases the efficiency noticeably,
but doesn't significantly increase the fake rate.
- 7-May-2003 Bob's comparison of
triggered and untriggered scintillator timings.
- 28-May-2003 Comparison of IMU
software in different recent releases.
- 11-June-2003 Study of the toroid
position sensors. We have not yet calibrated these.
- 18-June-2003 Bob presents some
cross-section vs luminosity numbers for various triggers, and looks
at the effect of the trigger on crossing times.
- 6-August-2003 Bob's look at
matching between tracks and stubs, with emphasis on our own Z determination.
- 20-August-2003 Bob's look at
trigger bits vs Z.
- 10-September-2003 Bob's look at
high mass dimuons.
- 17-September-2003 More of Bob's look at
high mass dimuons, and crosstalk effects on the Z resolution. Dimuon Z
events seem to be worse than most, because they are so radial!
- 22-October-2003 I finished the
untangling of the IMU and CMX miniskirt geometries. I look at the
t0 variation of the front BSU counters, and find that the variation has
a sigma of 4 nsec or better--low statistics limit us.
- 29-October-2003 Working on Offline
shift, I've noticed some things about memory leaks in Production.
- 5-November-2003 Bob looked at the
BSU also, with more statistics. The distribution of hits with phi is
unusual, and not completely understood.
- 12-November-2003 Gverify status and
Bob's new t0's.
- 19-November-2003 More gverify; first
- Simulation talk on Gverify
- 26-November-2003 More gverify; more
- 3-December-2003 More gverify; same
as last week (link).
- 10-December-2003 More gverify, map
from GEANT 4-character names to CDF volume names.
- 28-January-2004More gverify, using
the new 5.3.1pre1 geometry. Something is wrong in the silicon geometry.
- 4-February-2004. Bob's plots for
efficiency using missing hits. Details of Geant daughter
volumes extending beyond their mothers. (There are only about 9 general
cases, but some appear many times.)
- 8-March-2004. Bob's plots for
- 5-April-2004. More of Bob's plots for
dimuons. My modifications to the stub-finding modules.
- 12-April-2004. Bob looks at
delta-r.phi and his geometry model.
- 21-April-2004. Revised version
of note on stub-finding algorithms and residuals.
- 21-June-2004. Bob's look at
final quantity rates as a function of run number: another way of looking at
- 28-June-2004. Double-checking
- 6-July-2004. Trying to understand why
we have 4 times more 3-hit stubs in odd half-cells than in even.
- 12-July-2004. Do we have a bad
clock timing signal on one of the BSU TDCs?
- 19-July-2004. Do we have a bad
clock timing signal on another one of the BSU TDCs? There are
striking similarities and a curious difference. It turns out that
the east side TDCs were swapped out for a new version at about that time,
so we probably only had one bad TDC which went from east to west at that
- 26-July-2004. With more statistics,
we see the same drift of t0 in all scintillator TDCs, and in the BMU wire
chambers as well (though with a smaller magnitude). Is this a problem with
the timing signals sent to the VME crates? If so, other groups should see
- 9-August-2004. Bob shows scintillator
times from Z decay events with no offset, caculated offsets, and corrected
- 4-October-2004. Bob showed his Z
and W samples, and solicited help in figuring out why the W sample was so
poor. Calorimeter cuts?
- 11-October-2004. Progress on getting
luminosity dependence of various IMU rates. These will go into the (next line)
- summary document
- 1-November-2004. Bob shows drphi
and looks for forward/backward asymmetry--and finds that the background
is asymmetric also.
- 8-November-2004 Bob has plots of W
and J/psi candidates.
- 20-December-2004 Preon model results.
- 24-January-2005 Gverify results
for cdfsoft version 5.3.4, with special emphasis on SVX.
- 21-February-2005 Bob's trigger timing
- 28-February-2005 Bob's trigger timing
- 14-March-2005 GVerify talk for Tracking
- 21-March-2005 Bob's slides for trigger
efficiency using Z's.
- 28-March-2005 Bob's slides for
scintillator efficiency using Z's.
- 2-May-2005 I fixed a problem with
writing out scintillator hits associated with a stub.
- 16-May-2005 Bob has some work on
transverse Z distributions.
- 22-August-2005 Bob shows how
crosstalk varies with position along the wire for Z's. In a sense we're
designed to find crosstalk for the most interesting muons.
- 6-September-2005 Bob looked at
how to fix up the Z resolution by fixing up the delta-T with a cross-talk
correction fudge term. Improvement is better than .35 nsec, or about
- 3-October-2005 OpenOffice
presentation of a talk on observations in a universe with two macroscopic
- 17-October-2005 I looked at the
search window required for using an other-Z-leg muon stub search to try
to find forward tracking efficiency.
- 7-November-2005 Bob has more plots on
the Z resolution.
- 14-November-2005 Bob has more plots on
the Z resolution. The bug in Z positioning in simulation is fixed.
- 21-November-2005 Bob looked at the wings
in the Z η distribution. The noise rates in IMU simulation now reflect
current rates from data (was .0175, now is from .138 to .192 depending on
- 28-November-2005 Bob looked at the
efficiency as a function of maximum COT radius of the track. He sees an
odd "island" at low radius--an artifact?
- 9-January-2006 Bob looked at
BMU stub-finding efficiency.
- 17-January-2006 Bob looked at
BMU stub-finding efficiency, requiring stronger fiducial cuts. He finds 98.4%.
- 20-March-2006 People have better Z
using stiff tracks--it is 10-12 cm farther out than I have it.
- 17-May-2006 The XFT 3-layer trigger
is gone. Can new mezzanine cards help us?
- 6-June-2006 The XFT 3-layer trigger
is gone. Can new mezzanine cards help us? Looking a minimum bias data.
- 12-June-2006 Bob shows plots on
a small drop in scintillator efficiency. I look further at what a new
algorithm would buy us in trigger rates.
- 20-July-2006 The new algorithm is
not quite as helpful as one would hope. The reduction in trigger rate
when we require the hadron TDC bits is less than 2 times the reduction
in good data rate. (We lose half the Z sample but get less than a factor
of 4 reduction in overall rate.)
- 28Aug2006Bob has more
work on backgrounds in Z's, looking at detector-specific stuff.
- 16Oct2006 Can we use
diagnostic plots to spot oscillations quickly and distinguish them from
spark-noise? Pierre says the most recent changes will go into the next
release, and we find that the scintillator/BMU t0 mismatch was fixed back
- 23Oct2006 Can we find
problematic stacks with delta-T cuts, or will this give too many false
- 31Oct2006 Bob's plots
show that Jonathan's idea of reducing occupancy by setting the time window
to 1000 nsec is safe. Whether it will reduce readout time is another
- 08Nov2006 Another look
at oscillations. Since the 1000nsec cut is in place, the 800 nsec cut no
longer makes sense.
- 14Nov2006 Bob's hit and
width plots looking for the delta-T=40 spike.
- 16Jan2007 Varsha's talk,
and our comments. The Fermilab phone is not working right.
- 12Mar2007 The deficit
of 2-hit stubs reconstructed from simulation may be due to the BSU timing.
I have a fix.
- 11Jun2007 -17July Looking at
inefficiencies in MC reconstruction. Currently my estimate is 6.35%
inefficiency. Using 6.1.4 generation the inefficiency is
- 27Jun2008 Looking at alignment
again, using Chung's Z ntuples. There are noticeable misalignments.
- 29Jul2008 : Fix that corrects
delta-X in BMU ntuples.
- 04Aug2008 :
These slides are presented here for the use of CDF collaborators; both
for quick communication during phone conferences and for archival
purposes. They refer to internal development work, and are not
intended for publication to the general public. As of this date none
of our collaborators are blind, and since none but our
collaborators are likely to benefit from reading them, I see no
purpose in making the postscript files accessible to the blind.
if you have trouble accessing the information on this page.